Monday 19 May 2008

Soozy's Steak Guinness and Maple Syrup Stew


I had some steak pieces I needed to use. Now what to make. I remembered I saw this recipe from SoozyB getting rave reviews on Vi's Pantry Foodie forum. It is wonderful. So simple. I have made stews with Guinness before and have sometimes found them just a tad bitter. Not so this one. The maple syrup adds another dimension. Not too sweet just simply mouthwatering. Perfect with home made hearth breads to mop up the gravy.
This is Soozy's recipe


You need a casserole or pot with a lid that goes in the oven.

Amounts are approximate

Stewing or casserole beef, trimmed of excess fat - about 750g
1 1/2 large onions chopped into largish pieces
6 large carrots, peeled, halved and each half cut into quarters lengthways - you want thick batons
A handful of mushrooms, halved
2 tblsp plain flour
olive oil
salt and pepper
a handful of dried mushrooms, soaked and chopped very finely (keep the soaking liquid)
2 good beef stock cubes
2 small tomatoes peeled and finely chopped
1 can Guinness
3 tblsp maple syrup

Here's what I did:

Cut the beef into cubes and toss in a bag with the flour and salt and pepper.
Fry in batches over a high heat in the oil until browned.
Keep to one side in a bowl.
Add a bit more oil and fry the onion until slightly coloured then add the carrots and mushrooms.
Toss about a bit in the oil and then add the beef and all it's juices back to the pan.
Add the strained mushroom liquid and the stock cubes, and stir well to scrape all the lovely bits off the bottom of the pan.
Pour in the Guinness, and add the maple syrup, chopped tomatoes and soaked and chopped mushrooms. Bring to a simmer and put the lid on. Put in the oven for at 160C for two hours or until the gravy has reduced and thickened and the meat is meltingly tender.

About 15 minutes before serving, add some halved and boiled new potatoes.

Serve in large warm bowls, with crusty bread to mop up the gravy.

Good filling stuff.





17 comments:

test it comm said...

This sounds really good. I like the idea of using maple syrup in a beef stew. I will have to try it.

Rosie said...

Not sure if my comment went through so I'll post again.

Your stew looks SO good Brenda and such comfort food!! We love stew in my household so I will be trying this one out soon :)

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

Granny

I also like the idea of maple syrup. I sometimes add apricot jam for sweetness but this is worth a try.

Karens Kitchen

Gloria Baker said...

Granny I post by this recipe (lovely) but I want to say love this site not only the recipes, is beatiful love your clock too and see the hour en UK because I have many friends there.xxxxxx(I add to my favorites).Gloria

JillyB said...

Granny, we have the weather at the mo thats just made for this!!!Yum.

Anonymous said...

really like cooking with guinness. this sounds amazing.such a wonderful combination of flavours!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Brenda, that looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

RG, I absolutely love the maple touch. Actually, I love everything that went into your lovely stew! Delicious in every detail.

Maria♥ said...

Wow this is my kind of comfort food on a cold winter's day, delish!

Maria
x

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That stew looks mighty good! An interesting recipe. Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

I love this! And after a warm April, we're having a very cool May. Stew would be perfect!

Gloria Baker said...

I love come here Granny, upps is 4:00 there, here is 11:00 Am, sometimes I would like not to be this hour difference! but is the world. When I come here is how I visit in England a friend thanks GrannyxxxGloria

hungryandfrozen said...

This looks like perfect winter food. I love the idea of using Guinness teamed with maple syrup :) Will have to remember this one. As my flatmates adore the chocolate Guinness cake I could dovetail the two LOL.

Unknown said...

Are you the same "Rhyley's Granny" that used to post on Nigella's forum? If so then this is "KarrieB". I don't know if you remember me or not, but I used to post there a lot too.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Thank you all for your kind comments.It really is a lovely stew thanks to SoozyB for giving me her recipe.

Karen/KarrieB of course I remember you. I am on Vi's pantry most of the time as are a lot of N.Com people. Why don't you apply? I'll tell the administrators who you are and you will be cleared for membership.
http://violetspantry.forumup.org

Unknown said...

Oh great. Thanks Granny. I'm going to do that. I miss the chat on Nigella's forum.

Paola Westbeek said...

Looks droolworthy! Really good, honest comfort food!

paola