Sunday 11 May 2008

Cucumber,Ginger and Vanilla Jam

When Cucumber Jam was mentioned by Shyvas on a thread on Vi's Pantry, a foodie forum I subscribe to, I was intrigued. When I saw the recipe and realised it was Cucumber Ginger and Vanilla jam I was even more intrigued. It was crying to be made. I did and I am so glad I did. it is wonderful. I had no idea what to expect but this is a keeper. Shyvas suggested eating it with feta and that is exactly what I did on a nice thick slice of Brown Soda Bread. It belongs with cheese. I cannot rave about this enough. It is sweet but with the tongue tingling ginger through it and the hint of vanilla it is a taste experience not to be missed. You cannot believe what an wonderful combination of flavours it is until you have tried it. It's not difficult to make and it is very quick .

500gms Cucumber
80gms Ginger
1 Vanilla Pod
350gms jam Sugar

Weigh the sugar and put into a large saucepan
Cut the vanilla pod in two, de-seed and put pod and seeds into the sugar
Chop the cucumber into tiny cubes
Peel and cut the ginger into tiny pieces
Add both cucumber and ginger to the sugar and vanilla and mix well.
Leave for two hours
Bring to the boil stirring to dissolve the sugar.
Keep at a rolling boil for 7 minutes.
Pour into sterilised warm jars.

Note: If using granulated sugar it will take 15-20 minutes to reach a set.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda I'm drooling. That looks so very good.

Anna's kitchen table said...

What an unusual combo! It looks and sounds so very good though!
xx

Vicky said...

Wow that looks so fantastic. I'm going to make this in the next week! Thanks for the recipe. Well done with tastespotting! xxxx

Elle said...

How different! It sounds very refreshing. I'm bookmarking this one to try soon!

Anonymous said...

this sounds incredibly bizarre, but it *looks* incredible. i'm dying to know what this tastes like.

Rosie said...

Brenda I saw this also on the pantry and thought WOW. It really does look SO good!!

Rosie x

hungryandfrozen said...

This is so intriguing - I really want to try making this now :) It certainly looks fabulous!

l said...

Just curious, do you use "pickling cucumbers" for this recipe or another kind? looks great :)

Anonymous said...

Too many recipes, too little time!! Here's another one to write down and try!Brilliant blog Granny!

Anonymous said...

After seeing the comments for this recipe on the pantry, I just had to check it out. Now I want to try it out too! Sounds fabulous!! Jen x

MaryAthenes said...

I'm very impressed by your jam... I'd like to taste it with feta too.
Thanks for this recipe !

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

This jam is inspired! I love the combinations here: it's on my must-try list.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Hi Mary and js. Thank you for dropping in. I would strongly suggest the jam sugar as ordinary sugar works but it goes a bit 'sugary' IYKWIM