Thursday 1 May 2008

Lasagne

I have definitely been in left over mode this week. I always have Ragu sauce in the freezer. I was at a loss as to what to make for dinner tonight and as I love Lasagne there was no contest really. I am not going to laboriously type out a recipe for Ragu as everyone has their own favourite way of making it. I will however pass on a little tip. I have found in the past that sometimes the sauce was missing a little 'oomph'. I have heard others say the same. I suppose that's when we reach for the bottles and jars of various herbs spices or other condiments to try and give it the flavour we want to achieve. My earth shattering discovery is this. Don't cook it on the hob cook it long and slow in the oven. Perhaps the flavours intensify with this method of cooking. I don't really know. What I do know is it works and it's the only way I cook it now. If you leave it overnight before using it's even better. I make a really thick cheese sauce using 75gms butter, 500mls/ 1pint of milk and 100gms/4oz cheese. I also use dried lasagne sheets but boil them in water with a little oil in a roasting tin for a few minutes to soften them. Then it is just layering up with a hefty covering of parmesan cheese on top then into the oven until it's golden and bubbling. Served with Garlic Hearth Breads and a Tomato and Basil Salad it's a feast.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that looks gorgeous Granny. I'm a bit of a perfectionist with lasagna, it has to stand proud on the plate.

Anonymous said...

sigh... one of my all time favorite foods! looks fantastic.

hungryandfrozen said...

You're right, lasagne is such good comfort food...looks delicious :)

LisaRene said...

I wonder if by cooking it in the oven the sauce is drying out a bit more then if cooked on the stove resulting in the flavors intensifying. Great tip, I will give it a try!