Tuesday 17 June 2008

Pork Chops with Marsala, Herbs and Capers

I love Nigel Slater. I love his writing. I love his love of food. I especially love his book 'Appetite'. I think the fact that his recipes are more of advice on how to do things rather than lists of ingredients and complex procedures is what appeals to me. I took this from the quick frying-pan suppers chapter. There is nothing to it but it is delicious. Just the thing when you don't want complications at the end of a tiring day and yet yearn for something tasty for dinner.

All that is required is

Pork Chops
A little seasoned flour-to very lightly coat the chops
Butter -a thick slice for frying the chop and a little bit cold from the fridge cut into chunks for the sauce.
A wine glassful of Marsala or some other appropriate booze such as Madeira or wine.
A squeeze of lemon juice
Herbs of your choice
Capers and of course the obligatory frying pan


Toss the chops very lightly in the flour and shake to get rid of the excess. This gives a light crust.
Melt the butter in the hot pan (with a little oil to stop the butter burning)
When it is frothing put in the chops. The underside will be golden in a matter of moments so turn to cook the other side.
When cooked remove to a warm place.
Tip out most of the butter and add your booze.
Let it bubble and froth while you scrape and stir all the nice bits from the bottom of the pan.
As it froths and reduces add the herbs capers and lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
Add the little chunks of butter whisking until you have a glossy sauce.
Pour the sauce over the meat.

I served this with creamed potatoes and sliced green beans but it is your choice.

Enjoy


17 comments:

hungryandfrozen said...

That looks so beautiful! Good to see you back :) I love Nigel Slater too, from what I've read of his.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Thank you Laura. It's good to be back. I so miss my blogging. :)
xxx

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! And fun to play with since it's more like "advice," as you say, than an actual recipe.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Lulu yes it is fun as you can vary the flavours a lot. :)

Sally said...

Granny, you blog is looking so very good. No wonder the british press are looking at it!.
Good also to have you back.
Love Salxxx

Rhyleysgranny said...

Bless you Sal :) I think they ran off with fright!

Anonymous said...

Great to see you back blogging Brenda. That meal looks so good, my mouth is watering.

xxx

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

I love Nigel's writing too, it's like he's sitting there beside you.
Great recipe, I think I'll try this later this week.

Vicky said...

Lovely recipe Granny! I haven't got a Nigel Slater recipe book, looks like I'm missing out. Great to see you back to your wonderful blogging! Vicky xxx

Rhyleysgranny said...

Thank you dear Vicky. You really need to have Nigel Slater. He is so homely.
xxx

Rhyleysgranny said...

You should Princesska. Sooooo good
xxx

Rhyleysgranny said...

George I am glad to be back
XXXX

Elle said...

The pork chop looks great, but even better, you're back! I've missed your posts and hope all is well with you.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Bless you Elle all is well. I am glad to be back
xxx

Lore said...

My caveman-hubby would be all over these pork chops. Love that you used capers! Looks DELICIOUS

La Bella Cooks said...

I just love cooking with marsala and this recipe makes my mouth water. Not only does the rich looking sauce tempt you, but with marsala, you know it tastes fantastic!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Enjoying my time on your blog. This pork chop recipe looks like a keeper: it's easy and yummy, two of my favourite words together.