Thursday 1 July 2010

Mammy Rita's Sticky Ginger Bread

Rita lives way up north in the wilds of Scotland. A Highlander born and bred. This recipe as the title tells comes from her Mammy. It is a snip to make and so moist sticky dark and spicy. Just everything you want in Ginger bread. It keeps very well too. If you can, leave it for a couple of days before eating. It really is the better for it. A slice warmed and custard poured over is a dessert from heaven. I will give you the recipe just as Rita gave it to me. It is very simple but I put everything in the food processor and it works fine. Now Rita's mammy is having none of this so don't tell her will you?


Recipe

In a large saucepan melt the following ingredients

1/2 pint of milk
125 gms/5ozs dark soft brown sugar
2tbsp treacle
2tbsp syrup
100gms/4ozs butter or margarine

Cool until barely warm then beat in

2 beaten eggs

and then stir in

225gms/8 ozs self raising flour
1/2 teasp bicarb. soda
1 tablespoon each of ground ginger, cinnamon, and mixed spice
pinch of salt.

This makes one 2lb and one 1lb loaf
Grease and line the tins.

Bake for 75 mins at / 180.C/160.C Fan / 350.F
/Gas 4

My Notes

I use a slightly larger loaf tin which takes all the mixture

23.5 x 13.3 x 6.99 cms
9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inches

In this tin it takes an hour to bake. Start testing your cake after an hour.It's ready when a skewer comes out clean.

Try adding a tablespoon of cocoa to ring the changes.





18 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Awww, that bread looks divine! So tempting!

Cheers,

Rosa

Grannymar said...

I love gingerbread, but never tried the all in one method with the food processor. I must do that when I go home.

jaygirl said...

Aaah Brenda, she is going to be so so chuffed with this, she has waited 90 years to get her name in lights. Getting it printed off and showing her tomorrow, I hope you come up to standard, LOL.

Gloria Baker said...

I see dear Brenda you have been really bussy cooking!
This Ginger bread is absolutely divine, I love bake too! huggs

busygran said...

Looks great and moist. Have not tried gingerbread. Might give it a try.

Manu said...

MHHHH I love it, it's perfect for breakfast!Have a nice day

Brownieville Girl said...

Great photo, I feel that I could just reach in a grab a slice!!

I love gingerbread - always reminds me of my Dad's mother, she baked the best gingerbread of all time (didn't leave any recipes though).

Many thanks to Rita's Mum and to you for sharing :-}

Lucie said...

This looks wonderful. I have a gingerbread recipe bookmarked to make this week funnily enough - great minds think alike! Have a lovely weekend. Lucie x

Rhyleysgranny said...

Rosa - Thank you it is a good recipe

Grannymar - I am addicted to my food processor. :)

Jaygirl - I hope I come up to standard too Rita or I'll be cast to the bad lands. :)

Gloria - I love to bake too but it's the eating can be dangerous :)

Busygran - Oh you should try it. Lovely with some butter.

Manu - I may have a slice for breakfast myself :)

BVG - It's a pity you don't have your Gran's recipe. I love using old recipes :)

Anonymous said...

I love gingerbread- and the idea of the cocoa at the end is such a good one.

Maria♥ said...

Brenda, this Sticky Ginger Bread looks amazing. A must bake!

Maria
x

Choclette said...

Ooh, sticky anything gets my vote, but gingerbread is always a winner and this one looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the link... it works! Yay! nice gingerbread...

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Yummm love the look of that dense bread!

sunita said...

I can imagine the flavours in this cake. Thanks for sharing.

JillyB said...

It's the right time of the year for such bakes over here. I think this will be on the menu today!

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

Molto carino il tuo blog, complimeti :)

Isa said...

No conocia tu blog ,pero me encanto descubrirlo¡¡¡¡¡
Besos