Friday 30 July 2010

Little Chicken Pies

Or to give them their correct title

Mini Torte Poulete-cheddar.

Another lovely recipe from Gloria's Blog. I have made a few recipes from Gloria and they have all been excellent. This is no exception. It is quick and simple and presents beautifully. Tastes divine. This got a big thumbs up from hubby so it must be good. I made my own pastry. That is I made Delia's quick flaky pastry
I have made flaky pastry from scratch. It's a great thing to do when you are at home and can pop back and forwards to do all the rolling but it is not quick. This is so very quick and is light as a feather.



Pre heat the oven to 180/C/355.F/Gas 4

Ingredients (4 servings)

350 gms chicken breast in strips
1 packet ready made puff pastry
100 gms. cheddar cheese
1 celery stalk
3 carrots
1 onion chopped
2 tablespoon of chives chopped
25o mls. cream
30 gms. butter
1 egg
salt and pepper

Method

Cut the chicken into strips. Grate the cheddar. Chop the chives and carrots.
Peel the onions and slice them and the celery.


In a frying pan/skillet, melt the butter over a medium heat.
Fry the chopped vegetables and chicken strips for 10 minutes, stirring often.


Remove from heat and add cream, cheddar, chives, salt and pepper and mix.

Roll out the dough. Cut into 4 rounds with a diameter slightly larger than the ramekins.
Divide chicken mixture between the 4 ramekins.

Brush the edges of the ramekins with beaten egg (reserve the remainder).
Lay the dough rounds on top and press the edges to make them adhere.

Refrigerate 30 minutes (an essential step for the dough to rise during baking).

Brush the dough with remaining beaten egg.
Bake 20 minutes in the oven until the pastry is golden. Serve hot.


Thank you Gloria x






Chicken Pies on Foodista

18 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That pie looks and sounds delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Brownieville Girl said...

Looks just perfect Granny :-}}

Gloria Baker said...

OMG! Look fantastic Brenda. Im glad you love and enjoed this recipe! Thanks so much!! have a nice weekend! huggs gloria

Mary said...

Hi , i love your pie, you that is what i most miss not beening in oz. i will try this , i'll take note of the recipe!

Isa said...

un pastel de lo mas rico ,que pienso probar¡¡¡¡¡
besos

Rhyleysgranny said...

Rosa - Thank you. It really is a keeper.

BVG - :) :) :)

Gloria - It is a very good recipe. Thank you. I will be back to pinch more. :)

Mary - I hope you enjoy. I didn't realise you were Australian. That is why your English is so good :)

Isa - Espero que usted goce de él :)

Coby said...

Granny, I've not yet branched out to flaky pastry. Shortcrust is my usual, I take it you'd suggest Delia's version is a good starting point?:) I have her three how to cooks, I wonder if it is in there? That pie just looks so good:) No wonder your husband wanted to snaffle it up quick smart!

Lucie said...

Your pastry looks perfect - no wonder your husband relished it, sounds so tasty :) x

Rhyleysgranny said...

Coby - Yes the recipe is in there. That's where I got it. have a go. It won't fail you. Then have a go at making it the 'proper' way. It's great fun and gorgeous. I make a big batch when I do it and freeze it in usable portions.

Lucie - Thank you. It's a good pastry recipe :)

kenju said...

What am I missing?? 350 chicken breasts?

Rhyleysgranny said...

Kenju - Thank you. I.have altered it now. 350 chicken breasts would be rather a lot LOL

Anna's kitchen table said...

Ooh beautiful!! (I made a chicken pie this week too!)
Its a lovely photo too - I like the lighting!
X

The Caked Crusader said...

I'm drooling (and it's only 8.20am!). So often chicken pie is spoiled with ingredients I don't like (yes mushrooms, I'm talking about you!) but this looks PERFECT!

George@CulinaryTravels said...

The pie looks perfect Brenda.

Maria♥ said...

Brenda, this pie looks so good. I'm defo trying this recipe out!

Maria
x

Garcon de Croissant said...

I love an individual pie. Feels so special. I just love that flaky top!

Aoife Mc said...

DELICIOUS! Yum yum yum. Looks great Granny!

Alisa said...

Your chicken pie looks wonderful.I like what you have here.if you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!