Sunday 18 July 2010

Coby's Cake

I wandered over to The Claytons Blog and found Coby had posted a recipe for this cake. I just knew it was a winner. It is an old recipe and nothing will make my heart beat faster. Sad I know but I love the old recipes. It is not quite the same as Coby's as I added some chocolate. I love chocolate cake in any shape or form. So does hubby. Unfortunately chocolate does not like him so he has to moderate his consumption. I tend to stick little bits of it in here and there to keep us both happy. I just knew the addition of a little chocolate in this would be a winner and it was. Forgive me Coby for massacring your recipe but it was a run away success.
This is my take. The original recipe is at the link above.


60g / +2oz soft butter/margarine
145g/- 6oz soft brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
155g/- 6oz SR Flour flour/or plain flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder
60ml milk + 1 tablespoon
50gms/2 oz dark chocolate

For The Topping

3 tsp caster sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
10g soft butter

Preheat the oven to 180C./160.C fan/355.F/Gas 4
Line a 20cm cake tin, and here I used a cake liner, if you're not using a liner, grease the tin before lining.

Melt the chocolate with the tablespoon of milk.

Place everything else into the food processor and whiz until just combined

Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin.

Spoon the melted chocolate and milk mixture into about four blobs on top of the cake mixture and using a skewer swirl through.

Place in the oven and bake for about 30 - 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Leave in the tin for a couple of minutes before turning out onto a cake plate.
Make the topping by combining the sugar and cinnamon. Brush the soft butter over the top of the warm cake, and then sprinkle over the cinnamon sugar.
Serve warm or cold.
Serves 8

The metric measurement did not convert easily to imperial so the + means a little more and the - means a little less.



19 comments:

Grannymar said...

Yummy! That looks interesting!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love old-fashioned cakes. This one looks so smooth and delicious! What a treat!

Cheers,

Rosa

Isa said...

Que pastel tan delicioso¡¡¡¡¡
Besos

Rhyleysgranny said...

Grannymar - It is interesting no more. It was so good there is not a crmb left I am ashamed to say. :)

Rosa - Thank you. A treat indeed.:)

Isa - Gracias. Encantador para verle aquí.

Nickki said...

That looks like my kind of cake Granny, I must give this a try. I just love the combination of cinnamon and chocolate. :-)

Brownieville Girl said...

Cinnamon and chocolate - what's not to love!!!!!

Great photo too :-}}

Rhyleysgranny said...

Nikki - You won't regret it although your waistline might :)

BVG - I love cinnamon and chocolate too. New camera. I love it. Thanks :)

JillyB said...

Just off to make this now!!

busygran said...

Looks like a must-try cake! I love the chocolate in it!

Unknown said...

I think old recipes for cakes are absolutely the best! This one has my heart melting and my mouth watering!

Mary said...

what a great cake !

Anonymous said...

not much more to say other than I think the photo looks superb (as does the cake) I love a marbled cake and this one looks just the right side of crumbly! x

Coby said...

Granny, my first thought was 'Is there another Coby that you know?' The second thought was, wondering what cake you could talk about, as *I* don't have any cakes;) Now of course I see:) Your cake looks beautiful! It's not my cake you see, it IS your cake...lol WAS your cake;) Chocolate is no longer good to me either, but I can't completely avoid it. LOVE the sound of this combo - spices and chocolate are such a magic combo:):) Well done Granny, and thank you for giving me credit I do not deserve xx.

Gloria Baker said...

Brenda I really love this cake recipe, look delicious! gloria

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds lovely- and infinitely adaptable x

Sarah said...

You can't beat the old fashioned ones. A good reference. Thanks Brenda. X

Lucie said...

This looks heavenly Brenda - the old ones are the best I agree! Lucie x

Anonymous said...

The cake is Yummy! I had some yesterday. Is it nearly coffee time yet? I want another slice!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Jilly - I hope you enjoy

Busygran - The choc is a hidden treat in it :)

Joy - It really is a very moreish cake. I have mad two this week!

Mary - Thank you:)

belleaukitchen - Nice to see you here. It is light but the chocolate gives it a moist density.

Coby - the credit IS yours. You after all were the inspiration. Thank you xxx

Emmaline,Gloria, Sarah and Lucie - Thank you :)

Anonymous - I am so glad you tried it but I wish I knew who you are :)