Sunday 28 November 2010

Cocolate Caramel Oaties


This was to be my first entry to a monthly challenge for 'We Should Cocoa' November's challenge set by Chele at Chocolate Teapot  Every challenge is chocolate but every month another ingredient is given and  we have to conjure up something yummy. I did say was to be my first entry. Unfortunately I have just discovered I am late. I hope Choclette and Chele will forgive me. I have had a terrible month. My 90yr old Mother in law had a massive heart attack. She is as tough as old boots and thankfully is making a wonderful recovery. That said I have been run off my feet looking after her and as I look after my two grandchildren as well the kitchen has only briefly seen me throwing something together something very quickly for an evening meal. However, I have succeeded in organising things fairly well and today is mine. So with apologies for my late entry here is my submission. These don't look as wonderful as they taste. I based the recipe on Vi's Oaties which is lovely in itself and wonderful recipe to have a fiddle with. These were chewy with just the right amount of crunch The caramel in them was divine. With thanks to the Choclette and Chele. for a great idea.


Chocolate Caramel Oaties

Ingredients

4 oz/100g self raising flour

4oz/100g porridge oats

½ level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

4oz/100g butter or margarine

4oz/100g soft brown sugar


2 rounded tablespoon carnation caramel/dulce de leche


4oz/100grams dark chocolate broken into small pieces or chocolate chips




Method


Heat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180 c

Grease two  large baking tray with butter or margarine.

Mix flour, oats, and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl put to one side.

Put margarine or butter, sugar and caramel in a saucepan and heat on a low heat until butter and sugar are just melted, stir occasionally, take off heat and stir in the oat mix and chocolate. Beat well with a wooden spoon. 


Scoop dessert spoons of mixture up and make into ball shapes and place on a greased baking tray when the tray is full slightly flatten the balls out with the back of the dessert spoon.

Cook in the oven for 15 minutes, when ready remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheet for 5 mins before moving onto a wire rack.

Repeat and do the same until all the mixture has been used up.













12 comments:

Suelle said...

Such a shame you missed the deadline for the challenge - these sound really delicious.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Granny, they look scrummy ! What a good idea!
I'm glad your mil is on the mend ((()))

Unknown said...

god these look divine... i'm sure you'll be forgiven... I was nearly a week late last month!!... hope everyone's ok x

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They are beautiful and must taste divine! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Grannymar said...

They look interesting and easy too.

I hope things improve real soon. Take care and watch your step in the snow!

Brownieville Girl said...

I have to bake for a Christmas Market at my son's school next weekend - think these would be ideal.

Glad your MIL is getting better.

Chele said...

Hi Granny. These look fab! Why don't you send the details along to the inbox and I'll update the round up - there are a couple of additions that need to be made to it anyway ;0)
Thanks for taking part.

Snowy said...

They look delicious; one to try this week. Glad your mil is getting better. x

Rhyleysgranny said...

Thank you everyone. x

Laura said...

Oh my these look wonderful! Thank you for posting!

Choclette said...

Oh, I've only just seen this one. It seems you weren't the only one who didn't quite make it. Hope it hasn't put you off entering again. These oaties look lovely and such a good idea. Sorry to hear you've been having a bit of a time of it - hope things have improved now.

Clabby said...

I made these last week as I had some caramel left over. I ended up coming back to make a second batch to post to wee bro in England - he described them as awesome! Thanks for sharing!