Tuesday 31 March 2009

Vi's Oaties

These simple biscuits have become a weekly event in our house. They are wickedly addictive. Really easy to make. The recipe comes from Vi the administrator on 'Vi's Pantry ' food forum. She has a lovely Blog too. It was her Mum's recipe. I always double the quantities as they disappear so quickly. The recipe is quite easy to tweak. I like to use soft brown sugar instead of caster sugar as I like the caramely flavour it gives. To double the quantities in the recipe I also add 100 gms dried cranberries. They spread a lot so leave plenty of space on your baking trays. The recipe will give you about 15-16 biscuits.

Ingredients

4 oz/100g self raising flour

4oz/100g porridge oats

½ level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

4oz/100g butter or margarine

4oz/100g granulated sugar

1 rounded tablespoon golden syrup

Method


Heat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180 c

Grease on large baking tray with butter or margarine.

Mix flour, oats, and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl put to one side.

Put margarine or butter, sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan and heat on a low heat until butter and sugar are melted, stir occasionally, take off heat and stir in the oat mix, beat well with a wooden spoon.

Scoop dessert spoons of mixture up and make into ball shapes and place on a greased baking tray when the tray is full slightly flatten the balls out with the back of the dessert spoon.

Cook in the oven for 15 minutes, when ready remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheet for 5 mins before moving onto a wire rack.

Repeat and do the same until all the mixture has been used up.






25 comments:

Mary said...

Very nice these biscuits!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Indeed, these cookies look addictive and delicious! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Silvy said...

Granny hello congratulations for these wonderful cookies!
When you can pass by me to take the "prize blog greedy "!
baci baci. Silvy

Nickki said...

Hi Granny, your cookies look delicious! I can't wait to try them :)

Kelly-Jane said...

New look blog is lovely Granny, as are your cookies, great picture. I so loved these :)

La Bella Cooks said...

These cookies are perfect! Mind sending me a few? ;)

Ms O said...

Your blog looks so lovely and inviting, Brenda. Yummy cookies!!!
Lea x

hungryandfrozen said...

These sound lovely and old fashioned, although I suppose the cranberries add a modern touch. I do like a nice oaty biscuit :) these sound like they'd be perfect with a cup of tea.

Coby said...

These are the epitome of perfect home cooking! Gosh they look good:) Been a bit remiss of visiting my favourite blogs lately and look how lovely yours is! Always was of course, but a reblossoming for Spring perhaps?:)

Ruth Strong said...

Loving the look of these! They're so thin and sound ever so tasty

Clabby said...

Just about to try these - how long do they keep and can they be frozen? Is it better to make them with butter or do you notice the difference?

Gloria Baker said...

Dear Brenda, these look so nice and cute!! xxGloria

I will send you some pictures maybe tomorrow the Liquidamabar are RED!! all!! xxGloria

Cynthia said...

I love the new look of your blog!

Anonymous said...

Just made these, I put some dried sour cherries in as I had them in the cupboard, lovely! Jeannette

Rhyleysgranny said...

Thank you for your kind comments ladies.
Gloria I look forward to the pics of you lovely trees.
xxx

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Thanks for your kind comment...

Cheers,

Rosa

Joie de vivre said...

Thanks for the blog compliment. I used the Blog Fairy too!

Netts Nook said...

Great cookies. Thanks for sharing.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Hi Granny those cookies look so delicious!

Joie de vivre said...

These look delicious! And easy too!

Dewi said...

Vi's Oaties sound so scrumptious. I love how thin they are, it makes it less guilty to eat lots of this for sure.
Cheers,
elra

Cate said...

I'm not a big fan of cranberries, but love them in cookies - these look delicious!

Chef Jeena said...

You have a lovely blog and these oaties look yummy. :-)

Silvy said...

Hello Granny, thank you thought you had for me. All right, we the earthquake did not cause damage, just a little 'fear. I wish you and family a Happy Easter and God bless you all! Silvy

Grannymar said...

Scrummy! I'm off to try a batch.