Saturday, 21 March 2009

Steak Slice with Lemon and Thyme (with apologies to Coby)

Coby is a huge Nigella Lawson fan. If Nigella has a recipe you can bet your boots Coby has made it and all cooked to perfection. She does not have a blog of her own but writes on a communal blog. Her stuff is really well worth reading as are the writings of the other authors. Do drop in HERE and have a look. Anyway to the aforementioned steak. I had read on her blog that Coby had made this particular recipe from Nigella Express. It looked wonderful. I wasn't sure about the steak being marinaded after the cooking as I was worried about keeping it hot. I hate food not being hot if it is meant to be hot. We had a bit of a cyber chat about this which culminated in me buying a large slab of rump steak last weekend. Events over took me and I realised I was not going to use this meat until tonight. I thought to myself what on earth is the point of this sitting in the fridge for a week on it's own when it could be soaking in a marinade. Back to the recipe. I decided to make the marinade which was meant for post cooking and I stuck the steak in it. I took it out today and cooked it as per instructions and just added a squeeze of lemon juice while it relaxed. Oh boy it was mouthwatering. The steak was beautifully tender and the flavour was exquisite. I may not have followed the recipe to the letter but my goodness it tasted good. So thank you Coby. I would probably never have noticed this in Nigella Express. My apologies for not doing it properly but I'm here to tell you it doesn't matter it still tasted great.


Serves 4

1 x 2.5cm-thick rump steak, approx. 600g
5 stalks thyme, to give 1 x 15ml tablespoon stripped leaves
2 bruised cloves garlic
80ml extra virgin olive oil zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon Maldon salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt
good grinding of fresh pepper


Cut away the fat from around the edge of the steak while you heat a griddle or heavybased pan. Brush the steak with oil to prevent it sticking to the griddle or pan, and cook for 3 minutes a side plus 1 minute each side turned again (this gives you pretty griddle marks) for desirably rare meat; the lemon in the post-hoc marinade “cooks” it a little more. While the steak is cooking, place the thyme leaves, garlic, oil, lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper in a wide, shallow dish. Once the steak is cooked, place it in the dish of marinade for 4 minutes a side, before removing it to a board and slicing thinly on the diagonal.


The method is this: instead of marinating the meat before cooking, you marinate it after; it really does keep it extraordinarily tender. Please feel free to play around with the herbs; such as oregano rather than thyme.

My Notes:
I cooked it a little longer as I don't like my steak too rare.


Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, that meat looks fabulous! It's cooked to perfection!



Linda F said...

Granny, this is just the easiest and yet yummiest way to cook steak IMO, you dont have to remember to marinate before hand and it does give such a tasty result doesn't it?
Yours looks delish!

JillyB said...

That looks so good! I must get out my 'Express' and try a few more recipes from it.
PS. Love the new look!

culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess said...

Wow it looks lovely Brenda. I much prefer the idea of marinading first too.

Joie de vivre said...

That looks delicious. I need to marinate more often.

Nickki said...

That looks so good, Granny. I love this recipe as well, it's such a great way of ensuring tender meat!

Bridgett said...

I enjoyed this recipe when I made it a while back. I think it is pretty easy to play around with in regards to different herbs and cuts of beef. Yours looks perfectly cooked in my opinion!