Saturday 21 March 2009

Steak Slice with Lemon and Thyme (with apologies to Coby)

Coby is a huge Nigella Lawson fan. If Nigella has a recipe you can bet your boots Coby has made it and all cooked to perfection. She does not have a blog of her own but writes on a communal blog. Her stuff is really well worth reading as are the writings of the other authors. Do drop in HERE and have a look. Anyway to the aforementioned steak. I had read on her blog that Coby had made this particular recipe from Nigella Express. It looked wonderful. I wasn't sure about the steak being marinaded after the cooking as I was worried about keeping it hot. I hate food not being hot if it is meant to be hot. We had a bit of a cyber chat about this which culminated in me buying a large slab of rump steak last weekend. Events over took me and I realised I was not going to use this meat until tonight. I thought to myself what on earth is the point of this sitting in the fridge for a week on it's own when it could be soaking in a marinade. Back to the recipe. I decided to make the marinade which was meant for post cooking and I stuck the steak in it. I took it out today and cooked it as per instructions and just added a squeeze of lemon juice while it relaxed. Oh boy it was mouthwatering. The steak was beautifully tender and the flavour was exquisite. I may not have followed the recipe to the letter but my goodness it tasted good. So thank you Coby. I would probably never have noticed this in Nigella Express. My apologies for not doing it properly but I'm here to tell you it doesn't matter it still tasted great.

INGREDIENTS

Serves 4


1 x 2.5cm-thick rump steak, approx. 600g
5 stalks thyme, to give 1 x 15ml tablespoon stripped leaves
2 bruised cloves garlic
80ml extra virgin olive oil zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon Maldon salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt
good grinding of fresh pepper



METHOD

Cut away the fat from around the edge of the steak while you heat a griddle or heavybased pan. Brush the steak with oil to prevent it sticking to the griddle or pan, and cook for 3 minutes a side plus 1 minute each side turned again (this gives you pretty griddle marks) for desirably rare meat; the lemon in the post-hoc marinade “cooks” it a little more. While the steak is cooking, place the thyme leaves, garlic, oil, lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper in a wide, shallow dish. Once the steak is cooked, place it in the dish of marinade for 4 minutes a side, before removing it to a board and slicing thinly on the diagonal.


ADDITIONAL INFO

The method is this: instead of marinating the meat before cooking, you marinate it after; it really does keep it extraordinarily tender. Please feel free to play around with the herbs; such as oregano rather than thyme.

My Notes:
I cooked it a little longer as I don't like my steak too rare.



7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, that meat looks fabulous! It's cooked to perfection!

Cheers,

Rosa

Thinking About Food said...

Granny, this is just the easiest and yet yummiest way to cook steak IMO, you dont have to remember to marinate before hand and it does give such a tasty result doesn't it?
Yours looks delish!

JillyB said...

That looks so good! I must get out my 'Express' and try a few more recipes from it.
PS. Love the new look!

Anonymous said...

Wow it looks lovely Brenda. I much prefer the idea of marinading first too.

Joie de vivre said...

That looks delicious. I need to marinate more often.

Nickki said...

That looks so good, Granny. I love this recipe as well, it's such a great way of ensuring tender meat!

La Bella Cooks said...

I enjoyed this recipe when I made it a while back. I think it is pretty easy to play around with in regards to different herbs and cuts of beef. Yours looks perfectly cooked in my opinion!