Friday 21 August 2009

Sticky Maramalade Tea Loaf

This is a heavenly cake and so very very easy. The marmalade gives a lovely tangy flavour and the spices just lift it to tongue tingling sweetness. It is very moist without being dense. A real keeper. The first one I made ended up in the bin. I had left it to cool covered with a bit of foil and went out for a walk with my furry friend. When I came back and lifted the foil a swarm of wasps rose in the air and I fled! I am hugely allergic to wasp stings. Even contact with them causes a reaction. I didn't want the cake to be the death of me. My resident eating machine was left to sort out the wasps.Photobucket

The recipe is adapted from GoodFood 101 Cakes and Bakes. This little book is becoming a much used one in my kitchen. Some very good recipes in it.


Sticky Marmalade Tea Loaf

Ingredients

140g/5oz/approx 1/3rd of a 450g/1lb jar of marmalade
175g/6oz butter or margarine
175g/6oz light muscavado sugar (I use soft brown as that is what I had)
3 eggs beaten
225g/8oz Self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teasps ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
100g of pecan nute ( I don't do nuts so I left these out)
Takes 1 1/2 hours
Serves 12

Method

Pre heat the oven to180.C/160'C Fan/350.F/Gas4

Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. I use those loaf tin liners. So handy and good for storing the cake too.
Set aside about a tablespoon of marmalade in a small saucepan.
Throw all the other ingredients into a food processor and whizz until smooth. You can do this in a mixer or by hand.
Tip the batter into the prepared loaf tin
Bake for forty minutes then cover loosely with some tin foil.
Bake for a further twenty - twenty five minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Let the cake cool in the tin for a while before removing carefully.
Heat the marmalade in the saucepan and brush over the still warm cake.
I added a little grated orange peel to the top of the cake
Watch out for passing wasps!



14 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

I love this type of Cake Brenda are my favorites! and this loo really yummy.
Sorry you are allergic, my kids are too specially by spring!
Send you huggs!!!gloria

Grannymar said...

Now that sounds interesting. The title brought to mind a steamed Marmalade pudding I made many moons ago in school. I think it ended up in the bin too. In those early days (1960) I had not mastered the art of the waterproof greaseproof lid. ;-)

Clabby said...

Looks delicious Granny - will have to give it a go. I'm making your microwave lemon curd and your beetroot chutney today!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A classic! Your cake looks beautiful and really tempting!

I hate wasps!

Cheers,

Rosa

Rhyleysgranny said...

Gloria - Thank you. Yes allergies ar such a nuisance aren't they?

Grannymar - I remember making a marmalade pudding at school too. It must have been on the national curriculum lol

Clabby - Oh I hope the lemon curd and the chutney turn out well for you. Let me know won't you? :)

Mary said...

This is so delicious to accompany a cup of tea or coffee!

Cynthia said...

The loaf is so moist and would be excellent with my cup of tea right now :)

Rhyleysgranny said...

Mary and Cynthia- Yes perfect with a cup of tea. I am even more sinful and enjoy these tea loaves buttered. Oh my waistband. LOL

Natalya said...

Granny,
Are marmalade and jam teh same things ?
Can I use simple orange jelly ?
Thanks

Rhyleysgranny said...

I imagine orange jelly is the same. Confusing all these different terms isn't it? :)

Natalya said...

Thanks, Granny
I'll then use orange jelly which I guess will be not difficult to find in French supermarkets since I have never bought/tried it before. I'll let you know.

CookALot said...

What a fab easy standby recipe. I've seen a gorgeous lime marmalade in the shops. I wonder how the swap would work. Have you made this cake with any other jam or preserve?

Rhyleysgranny said...

CaL Hello there. I haven't used any other jam etc but I imagine the lime would be lovely in it. I love trying different ways. It's a really nice wee cake and keeps really well. Thanks for popping in.

Maria♥ said...

Brenda, I also have that same book and made this loaf too and it's absolutely delish. Yours turned out wonderful.

Maria
x