Sunday 2 August 2009

Quick Lemon Chicken.

I pinched this recipe from another Blog. Not a food blog but Grannymar's. It's a very good read. Lot's of short stories of interest. The comments are pretty interesting too. Monday is recipe day and I liked the look of this. Grannymar had borrowed it and changed it and in turn I borrowed and changed it. It's just one of those dishes. I always find chicken breast a little tasteless unless it is attached to the bird so I used a little bacon to add flavour. It is very quick and easy. A handy dish for when in a hurry or when you have a few veggies needing using up. Grannymar's version can be found here So with apologies to Grannymar here is my version

Quick Lemon Chicken

Serves two

1 tablespoon oil.
4 strips of smoked streaky bacon cut into smal pieces
2 chicken breasts cut in strips
2 garlic cloves crushed
6 tenderstems of broccoli or florets.
3 chopped spring onions
6 cherry tomatoes halved
1 heaped teaspoon cornflour/starch.
1 tablespoon clear honey ( I used maple syrup.)or 2 teaspoons sugar
grated zest of half lemon plus juice of 1 lemon
Approx. 100mls chicken stock
1/2 a teasp chilli paste
A quick splash from the open bottle of wine (I used marsala)
Handful of toasted pine nuts.
Flat leaved parsley or coriander to garnish

Heat a large frying pan or wok.
Toss the pinenuts around until toasted. Set to the side.
Add the oil to the pan and fry the bacon. Set to the side
Add chicken and fry 3-4 minutes until golden, do not burn. Set to the side with the bacon
Add the garlic, broccoli, tomatoes and spring onions.
Stir fry for a minute or so, then cover and cook 2 minutes more until almost tender
Mix the cornflour, honey (maple syrup)or sugar, chilli paste, stock and booze (if using) in a small jug, then pour into pan and stir to thicken.
Tip the chicken back into the pan and let it heat through, then add the lemon zest and juice and the pine nuts.
Stir and garnish with the parsley and/or coriander.
Serve with rice or new baby potatoes.






5 comments:

Grannymar said...

Ooh! I like this version. In fact I looked at a jar of honey and a bottle of Maple Syrup side by side on the shelf today and thought about substituting the honey with the syrup in this very recipe or to cover the fat on a loin of bacon before putting it under the grill for a few minutes.

Rhyleysgranny said...

@ Grannymar I'd add maple syrup to anything. I do like the idea of it over a bacon joint. I had loin of pork today. I wish I'd put some on the crackling. I like your chicken recipe very much. Very quick and versatile. Thank you. Don't be setting the cyber police after me for theft or copyright:)

arista said...

Looks like a good one to try - sometimes I grab chicken fillets at the shops and when I get home i wonder what to do with them! I must give this one a go.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delightful dish! I love the choice of ingredients...

Cheers,

Rosa

Gloria Baker said...

Really nice and yummy chicken Branda,like this recipe.Gloria