Thursday 1 October 2009

St Clement’s Drizzle Cake.

This cake was this month's challenge set by Rosie and Maria at Sweet and Simple bakes. I have seen various drizzle cake recipes on different blogs but until this challenge I hadn't made one. I don't really know why as I love citrus flavours in cake. This spurred me into action and it is an absolutely gorgeous cake. Feather light and beautifully sticky with more than a hint of citrus. I did cheat a little as I did it in the food processor. Just threw everything in and whizzed. I added 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to compensate for this short cut. It turned out perfectly and keeps very well. Couldn't be quicker or easier. Thank you Rosie and Maria for another great bake.

St Clement’s Drizzle Cake

Ingredients
175g/6oz caster (superfine) sugar
175g/6oz softened butter
Grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
Grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
4 tablespoons milk
2 eggs
175g/6oz self-raising flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar

Preheat the oven to 180.C/fan 160.C/355.F/gas 4.

Grease and line the base of 1 large (900g) or 2 small (450g) loaf tins.

Place the caster sugar, butter and zest of the lemon and orange in a bowl and beat together until pale and creamy. Add the milk, and then beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a spoon of flour to prevent the mixture from curdling. Mix in the remaining flour. Spoon into the prepared tin/tins and level the surface flat.

Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes for a large cake or 30 minutes for the smaller cakes until they are golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.

While the cake is cooking, place the lemon and orange juice in a saucepan, bring to the boil and allow to reduce in quantity to about 3 tablespoons. Leave to cool, and then stir in the granulated sugar so it just starts to dissolve.

As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, prick several times with a skewer, then slowly pour the lemon and orange sugar all over the top, letting it soak into the cake. Leave to cool completely in the tin before turning out and cutting into slices to serve.




25 comments:

Sally said...

I have a hankering for this now. Looks mighty fine. xxx

Mary said...

This cake is perfect to accompany a cuppa!

Grannymar said...

I can taste it from here. Yummy scrummy!

Clabby said...

I couldn't get enough lemons when I was pregnant and this type of cake was the only thing I could manage. Will have to bear this in mind for the next time ;)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Fantastic flavors! I love such cakes!

Cheers,

Rosa

Maria♥ said...

Brenda your cake turned out wonderful!

Thanks for taking part and hope you will join us in our next bake.

Maria
x

Gloria Baker said...

Love this dear Brenda look so delicious! I love cakes how this dear Brenda! xoxoxo gloria

Lucie said...

Yours looks lovely Brenda, so light wasn't it, so tangy too. I will be doing this one again (I have said that about every bake so far - no wonder I am at weight watchers!) Love Lucie x

The Girl said...

This loaf was great wasn't it? Lovely and light - which meant that you didn't really feel like you'd eaten anything which obviously means you can have another slice!

Julie said...

Your cake looks beautiful! The
flavors are so nice, aren't they?

Joanne said...

Wonderful cake. Good job.

George@CulinaryTravels said...

Looks lovely Brenda. I'm not fond of orange flavours in cake but could fancy this as a lime drizzle.

Helen said...

Your cake looks lovely : )

hungryandfrozen said...

What a gorgeous colour that cake is! I also like the look of the paper case it's baked in - very cute :) Sometimes the simplest cakes are the best!

Coby said...

Granny, I have never found a lemon drizzle cake that I like (yet I love lemon usually). I DO however love orange-based cakes - I'm wondinger if the combo of the one I do, and the one I don't like might make me happy?:) Your cake looks so beautiful and sunny:D

Rhyleysgranny said...

Sally - It is so easy and a lovely wee cake

Mary - I am all for it :)

Grannymar - No dairy so you can eat up with a clear conscience.

Clabby - You will love itand so will your two men :)

Rosa - Thank you It os so tasty.

Maria - Thank you and thank you for another great bake. I will be there next time. Those cookies look good

Gloria - Thank you. It is a lovelly cake. You would like it as you like the citrus flavours I think.

Lucie - I will also be making this many times I think. I love cakes that sre so simple yet so good.

The Girl - I love your logic lol. It was a lovely bake wasn't it.

Lakegirl - Yes thr flavours are wonderful

AppleC - Thank you :)

George - I imagine any citrus would be good here

Laura - You are right sometimes simple can turn out wonderful. It is so yellow isn't it?

Coby - You could just use all orange. I think it would be grand. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! It's goooorgeous. And that cake was perfect - easy, quick and a little special all in one!

Rosie of BooksAndBakes

Caroline said...

I love lemon drizzle cake and was really pleased that this was picked for us to bake! Yours looks really lovely and moist!

Edith said...

OMG yours look stunning.

Kelly-Jane said...

Yours looks lovely Brenda :)

スタービーチ said...

一時代を築いたスタービーチは閉鎖になりましたが、もう一度楽しい思いをしたい、もう一度出会いたいと思う有志により再度復活しました。本家以上に簡単に出会えて楽しい思いを約束します

女に生れて来たからには!! said...

誰にも言えない秘密があります。実はとってもHなんです、せっかく女として生まれたからにはアブノーマルな世界に飛び込んでみたいです☆普段では考えられないプレイを思う存分楽しみ、経験したいんです♪快楽に溺れさせてくれませんか?一緒に感じ合いましょう!!都合はつくのですぐに時間を合わせられます。18歳よりも上の方がいいです!! quietness@docomo.ne.jp

お家遊びに来てくれる人いないかなぁ? said...

一人暮らし寂しいよ~(泣)誰かお家遊びにきてくれないかなぁ?休みの日とかも全然予定ありません。料理作るの得意だから来てくれたら食べてほしいな♪見た目は悪くないと思うから安心してください!(笑)細かい事は気にしないけど18歳未満の人は微妙かな、気軽に仲良くしてください milky-yukinko@docomo.ne.jp

神待ち said...

冬に1人でネカフェとか寂しすぎやし、でも自分から積極的に声を掛けれる娘ばかりと違い、内気な娘は神待ちと言われるように自分の事を助けてくれるのを待ってるんです。貴方の優しさを待ってる娘は意外な程多いよ

円倶楽部 said...

当逆円倶楽部ではリッチなセレブと割り切りでお付き合いしてくださる男性を募集しています。女性の性欲を満たし、高額報酬をもらって楽しく暮らしてみませんか?興味がある方はアルバイト感覚での1日登録もできる、安心の無料入会を今すぐどうぞ。