Tuesday 1 September 2009

Jammy Doughnut Muffins

This is my first entry for Sweet and Simple Bakes, a blog run by Rosie and Maria. Every month they put up a tried and tested recipe as a challenge for all to make. They have some lovely bakes. It's a fun thing to do and encourages you to try different recipes. These jammy doughnut muffins are this month's challenge. I changed the recipe slightly and used apples stewed in cinnamon and brown sugar instead of the jam. They were gorgeous straight from the oven. Going down the apple route you need to eat them straight away as they don't keep too well. Mind you that was no great hardship as they were lovely. I have to confess I didn't actually make these at all. It was my five year old grandaughter who is always helping me in the kitchen. I thought she did a really good job too.


Jammy Doughnut Muffins

Any flavoured jam would be equally as delicious to use in this bake as opposed to strawberry and raspberry. You may have some delectable homemade jam(s) you wish to use or what about the sublime Dulce de Leche, (“toffee sauce”) even a thick vanilla custard or stewed apples. The amount of baking powder is correct in this recipe, I know it seems a vast amount but it does work.

Makes 12

Ingredients

275g (10 oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
3 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
100g (4 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
2 eggs
200ml (7 fl oz) milk
75g (3 oz) unsalted (sweet) butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 tsp strawberry or raspberry jam

For The Topping

100g (4 oz) unsalted (sweet) butter
150g (5 oz) granulated sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)

You will need 12 hole muffin tin lined with paper cases.


Method

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl, and stir through the sugar. In large jug, lightly beat the eggs then add the milk, cooled butter and vanilla extract and beat together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients stir gently until just combined. (Do not over mix, its fine to have a few lumps in the mixture.) Spoon half the muffin mixture into the base of each paper case. Top each muffin with a teaspoon of jam. Now equally between each paper case, top with the remaining muffin mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes until well risen, golden and firm to the touch.

For The Topping: melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Spread the granulated sugar in a wide, shallow bowl with the cinnamon if using. When the muffins are baked, leave in the tin for 5 minutes. Dip the tops of the muffins in the melted butter and then roll in the sugar. You can serve these muffins warm or cold; however, I do prefer to eat them whilst warm.


28 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

Brenda I love these Muffins really yummy,yummy and I love eat warm too! ja, xoxoxo Gloria

Coby said...

She's your girl in the kitchen alright Granny! What a super job:)

There is no after taste from the baking powder is there?

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those look so good! Irresistible!

Cheers,

Rosa

Beth (jamandcream) said...

They look delicious. Im sure my daughter would love to have a go at these

Rhyleysgranny said...

Gloria - They are lovely straight from the oven

Coby - She is a great wee assistant. There is no taste from the baking powder. I seived it with the flour to make sure there were no stray clumps.

Rosa - Thank you

Beth - They are very easy and perfect for a child to make.

The Caked Crusader said...

Ahhh, these gorgeous muffins are tormenting me on every site I visit...can't stop drooling....

Grannymar said...

They look scrummy yummy! I am, and always was, a straight form the oven gal.
Thank you ladies.

Mary said...

They seem perfect , lovely!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Caked Crusader - You'll have them made before the day is out lol

Grannymar - No othe rway to eat them is there. Not so good for the waistline though :)

Mary - maybe not perfect but lovely certainly :)

Coby said...

Thanks Granny, good to know - nothing worse than 'that' chemically taste. Perhaps you'll have an assistant for every 'Sweet and Simple':)

Katiecakes said...

Oh yum, the apples sound fab! I made a banana bread with caramalized apples in last week and it was amazing. I couldn't stop myself just eating them right from the pan!

Katie xox

The Girl said...

Oh I bet the apples were gorgeous! And I'm sure it was no hardship to have to eat them a little bit quicker than normal ;)

Maria♥ said...

Welcome to Sweet and Simple Bakes and congrats on your first bake with us! Great to have you on board.

Your muffins turned out lovely and I just love the sound of the stewed apples, perfect for the autumn season!

Thanks for taking part and hope you will join us again. Check out Sweet and Simple Bakes tomorrow for this month's bake!

Maria
x

Priya Suresh said...

Wow muffins looks incredibly gorgeous.

Desisoccermom said...

The muffins look lovely Brenda and they were simple enough to follow. Tell your granddaughter a great job :). Nice variation with the stewed apples. Does it taste like applesauce?

lilmizlynn said...

kudos to your granddaughter...
lovely muffins and i love eating them warm!

Lucie said...

These look wonderful Brenda, they were lovely weren't they. Hope you're well.

Lucie x

Kelly-Jane said...

Well done Granny and little one - lovely job :)

Joanne said...

What a great filling idea! The stewed apples. Yum!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Coby - My little assistant is always around. I now have two as Luis loves to crack the eggs. he's learning too

Katiecakes - I love aople in cakes. So yum

The Girl - No it was certainly no hardship. They were so good.

Maria - Thank you i was delighted to participate at last. You and Rosie work so hard at it. I hope to be in there every month.

Oriya - Thank you :)

Jaya - Thank you. Rhyley was delighted ot see her muffins on here. They tasted of Halloween.

lilmizlynn - Kudos....I am never sure exactly what that means. LOL. I must keep up

Lucie - they were lovely weren't they x

Kelly - Thank you :)

Anh said...

I am so in love with the look of your blog! So cosy!

The muffins look great by the way.

lakegirl16 said...

I love the idea of the apples!! How fun to have a helper!!!

Edith said...

Yes these were lovely and easy. My kids helped out too. Next round, I will use your filling idea.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Anh - Thank you . You are welcome in my little kitchen' anytime :)


Lakegirl and Edith - Thanks for dropping in. Little helpers are the best aren't they?

Nickki said...

Wow, they look really delicious! I meant to take part in this month's S&SB but ran out of time. It's a really horrible rainy day here so I'm going to make these this afternoon. Well done to your little helper in the kitchen, she did a fantastic job! :)

Bimmer said...

My first visit to your blog, nice blog! And nice muffins too!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Nikki - I hope you enjoy your muffins. The weather is a scourge just now isn't it?

Bimmer - Thanks for popping in. I am glad you like my blog :)

Sugar said...

the muffins looks so prefect and delicious...