Wednesday 15 April 2009

Little Loaf Sandwich Cakes

I have tried many cakes over the years. Some disastrous and some good. I always end up falling back on my basic sponge/pound cake recipe. It's dependable in it's results so no waiting with baited breath to see if it sinks burns takes too long to cook or remembering a huge complex list of ingredients. Easy to add a variety of flavours and frostings to ring the changes. A large round cake is too big for the two of us so I tend to make them in loaf tins. Easier for storing and slicing. I do like a sandwich cake so I have to use two x 2lb loaf tins per cake.

Basic Recipe Ingredients

100gms/4oz self raising flour
100gms/4oz soft margarine
100gms.4oz caster sugar
2 eggs beaten

Method

Cream the margarine until really creamy Add sugar and beat again until really light and fluffy. This bit is important for a nice light cake I know it's boring but it's worth it.
Add the beaten egg a little at a time and beat well. It may go curdly but don't worry it will be OK
Sift the flour in gradually and stir in gently.
Divide the mixture between two greased lined 2lb loaf tins and bake at 180.C/160'C Fan/350.F/Gas 4 for about 15-20 minutes until the cakes feel springy on top.
Allow to cool before removing from the tin.

Butter Cream Frosting

100gms/4oz butter softened
200gms/8oz icing sugar

Cream the butter and gradually add the icing sugar.
Beat until light and fluffy.

Spread a layer on one cake then place the other cake on top. Spread a layer of the butter cream on top of it.

Some Variations.

Lemon Cake
Add the grated rind of half a lemon and the juice to the cake mix.
Add grated rind and juice of half a lemon to the frosting.

Coffee cake
Add 1teaspoon of coffee essence or some very strong coffee to the cake mix.
Add 1 teaspoon coffee essence to the frosting
or make some fudge frosting which is lovely.

Fudge Frosting
50gms/20z butter
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
4 teaspoons golden syrup
200gms/8oz icing sugar

Melt the butter milk sugar and syrup in a saucepan
Beat in the icing sugar.
Pour into a bowl and allow to cool.

Chocolate cake
Substitute 1 heaped tablespoon flour with 1 heaped tablespoon of cocoa.
You can add chocolate chips too

Chocolate Frosting
Add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and a little milk to the basic recipe


I find soft margarine makes a lighter cake than butter but it is your preference.




20 comments:

Sally said...

Such a lovely picture Granny. And so glad you put the recipe up with loads of options too. Thank you.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They look so pretty and perfect for afternoon tea!

Cheers,

Rosa

Mary said...

wow i love these sandwiches, i'm going to copy out the recipe so i can try, cheers!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Sal glad you like the options. Handy no? x

Rosa Thank you x

Mary I hope you enjoy x

Kana said...

A good standby recipe is a treasure to have :)

La Bella Cooks said...

You have gorgeous photos! I love these little cakes, perfect with my morning coffee.

Nickki said...

They look gorgeous! What a lovely picture. You should be a food photographer. I shall try your recipe, I do like the way it can be varied to suit your taste. x

Rhyleysgranny said...

Maya. Nice to see you here. You are right they are a good standby especially when you want a cake and you don't want to think too hard x

Bridgett They are a perfect sweet bite with coffee. thank you for your comments on my pics x

Nikki Thank you also for your comments about my pics. The toppings are nice with other cakes too. x

Gloria Baker said...

BrendaI really love these little sandwhich Cake look wonderful and nice!!! Love them, have a nice weekend!

Elle said...

Beautiful! And a nice change from regular old loaf cakes. I especially love the coffee one!

hungryandfrozen said...

They look pretty! Good idea doing a loaf cake, very practical.

But...I could never, ever use margarine instead of butter or oil in a cake...or anything for that matter :)

Cynthia said...

I absolutely love your blog header and design.

Chef Jeena said...

What lovely cakes to have with a nice cup of tea. :-)

Rhyleysgranny said...

Laura I understand your dislike of margarine but I come from a time when it would have been unthinkable to use butter for baking. It seems quite normal to me. :)x

Elle Thank you. I like the coffee one too. The fudge topping is good with it.

Cynthia Thank you. I'm glad you like my new blog look :)

Jeena Indeed they are nice with a cuppa :)

Kelly-Jane said...

Your cakes looks so very moist and delicious, yum!

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

I love this idea Brenda, my OH loves a 'proper' cake in the house at all times, but, like you I find a large cake gets wasted. Loaf cakes would be perfect. I'll be trying this.

Anonymous said...

Hey Granny! Fab idea about the loaf cake for the two of you, I will nick that idea for Dave and I. Just to confirm you use the 2 egg mix for 1 or 2 loaf tins?? Or you use 2 and then sandwich them together (rather than cut them through the middle)?? Confused.com. Buntyxxx

Jennifer said...

These are precious!!!

Dewi said...

Your cheesecake look perfect, I love the choice of rose water and rose syrup, then a few pomegranate seeds perfecting the appearance of your delicious looking cake.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Kelly - Thank you

Applepie - I find loaf cakes very handy


Bunty - have you tried them yet?

Jennifer - Thank you for dropping in and leaving a nice comment

Elra - Than you for the lovely comment about the cheese cake