Friday 5 September 2008

Refrigerator Rolls

I seem lately to have done nothing but make rolls. I keep finding another recipe I just must try. These are as light as feathers, easy to make, very forgiving and very rich. They are wonderful when they are just made. I think freezing them would be the  way to go and just using one or two at a time.  I wanted brown rolls so I altered the recipe slightly to accomodate this. I found this recipe through TasteSpotting on a lovely blog by Lindsey on Cafe Johnsonia. She has gone to the bother of giving a step by step tutorial on  making them. It's great for those who are a little afraid of using yeast. It is accompanied by some very good pictures  too. Worth your while having a look.
You really need to have a look at how she forms her round rolls. It is so neat and easy.
Thank you Lindsey


Refrigerator Rolls
(adapted from the Lion House Classics Cookbook)

1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter
1 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour (can use some bread flour)
1 Tbsp. instant SAF yeast
2 tsp. salt


Place butter, sugar and milk in a large, glass, 4-cup measuring cup.
Microwave for several minutes until the butter is almost all melted, the sugar is dissolved, and the mixture is very hot to the touch. (I check it on my instant read thermometer and the temp should be about 140.F because it will cool down once you add it to the eggs.)
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs well. Slowly drizzle the hot milk mixture into the eggs while whisking continuously. The bowl and the eggs should be warm. (110 . F. is the perfect temperature.)
Place the flour and the yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. 
Note: this won't work with a dough hook--this isn't a typical bread dough. A paddle attachment can easily handle this very soft dough.
Turn the mixer on low to evenly distribute the yeast.
With the mixer running, add the liquids in a slow, steady stream. When all the liquid has been added, turn the mixer up to medium and let it run for 1 minute. Add the salt.
Keep mixing for another three or so minutes, or until the dough starts to form strong webs as it mixes.
Rub the inside of a very large bowl with oil.
Place the finished dough , which is very very soft, in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
Place dough in a warm, draft-free spot where it can rise.
(Test your dough, if needed. It should be strong and stretchy.)
When the dough has doubled in size, sprinkle it with about 1 Tbsp. flour and punch it down. (Don't use too much flour--just enough so the dough doesn't stick to your hand.)
Wrap the bowl well with a few layers of plastic wrap. (You don't want the dough to dry out.) Refrigerate the dough until chilled. It can be kept overnight and up to 5 days.
When you are ready to bake the rolls remove the dough from the fridge.
Sprinkle a little flour over a flat, clean surface.
Roll dough into a large circle and use a pizza cutter or knife to cut dough .
For round, dinner rolls:
Cut the dough into equal pieces. 
For smaller rolls--make 24, medium--16, large--12.
Place the rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. (If you don't have either of these, don't fret. It's fine to use a plain baking sheet that has been greased.)
Let the rolls rise until double in size. (For speed rise method, place the rolls in a slightly warm oven--about 150 degrees F with a pan of boiling water beneath them.)
(The note in the Lion House Cookbook says they can even be left to rise for as many as 5 hours without any damage being done. Great for a day when it's uncertain when the rolls will go in the oven.)

Brush the tops of the raised rolls with a little melted butter or a beaten egg.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, or until the rolls are golden.

Notes

I used 1 cup of wholemeal flour as I wanted brown rolls.

I hummed and hahed about the amount of yeast but added the amount specified.



12 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I've never made refrigerator rolls, but I am very tempted to test such a recipe! Your breads look lovely! A great idea...

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

They look really lovely Brenda.

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

They look great,just like bakery rolls,I need to test this recipe soon.

Anonymous said...

This seems quite a rich dough, is it more like a brioche dough, do you think? I just had a look at the link you gave and I have book marked it for future readings, can't get enough of them, can you!
Jeannette

Gloria Baker said...

Granny!"!! I love these rolls I never made but always want some how this, maybe the Sunday I will make, you know dear sometimes the weekend are the most busy!
They look absolutely lovely, I love your recipes Granny!!! xxGloria

RecipeGirl said...

They look beautiful. I need to make my own rolls. It doesn't seem that difficult... maybe I can do it myself!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Thank you all. I so like to see you all calling in. These rolls are very rich. Jeanette you are right about the brioche. I have tried them without the eggs and butter but they don't give the 'lightness' I want and they lack flavour. I really do like these.
xxx

Anonymous said...

These are definately going on my to try list. Sound rich and wonderful.

Thinking About Food said...

gosh they look so good, I really do get inspired to bake bread every time I visit here Brenda!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I had a boyfriend in college whose granny used to make these for us when we would go to visit. I was in love with them - she called them angel rolls.

Hooray! I can't wait to make these!

Afua said...

I don't have a fancy mixer; I just have my hand held mixer. Could I use that for this recipe?

Rhyleysgranny said...

Hi Afua thanks for calling in. Yes you can use a hand held mixer of course. It just makes life easier than beating by hand with a wooden spoon.