Sunday 7 September 2008

Chocolate Caramel Thumbprints

I was flicking through my cookery books and spied these in Martha Stewarts 'Cookies' and thought they looked very inviting. She had made a chocolate filling to place in the little indents but I really wanted some caramel too as I love the combination. I had a jar of dulce de leche so I decided to pop that in too. They are a lovely wee mouthful and very quick and easy to make. I made another batch adding cocoa powder to the dough and they were lovely too. I didn't use a mixer as there was no need. If the butter is nice and soft it can be mixed easily in a bowl.

Ingredients

Makes 41/2 dozen

1 cup 2 sticks /8oz plus 6 tblsps unsalted butter
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons corn syrup
Dulce de leche or other caramel if using

Directions

Heat oven to 350.F/180.C/Gas4
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together 2 sticks butter , sugar, salt, and vanilla on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in flour, beginning on low speed and increasing to medium high.
Roll dough by teaspoonfuls into balls, and place 1 inch apart on lined baking sheets .
Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, and press thumb into tops of cookies to make indentations. Return to oven, and bake until light brown on the edges, 7 to 9 minutes more. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Combine chocolate, 6 tablespoons butter, and corn syrup in a small heat-proof bowl. Set over a pot of simmering water; stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly. When cookies are cool,place a little dulce de leche (if using) in each indent then fill the thumbprints with the chocolate mixture.



How Martha Stewart managed to get 41/2 dozen cookies is beyond me. I managed 28.









17 comments:

Coby said...

Granny these are so tempting! I really love the look of them, little mouthfulls of delicious:D I have to say though, the recipe would have put me off - at least the first measure for butter. How did you work it out?? American measures really can do my head in! Well done all all accounts:D

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those beautiful cookies look mighty delicious! Anything with chocolate and caramel makes me drool...

Cheers,

Rosa

Rhyleysgranny said...

Hi Coby I'm getting very used to the american system. A stick of butter = 4oz = 100gms. I think because the UK still uses the imperial system to a certain extent probably helps. I prefer imperial. I can't 'see' metric ifkwim. I actually prefer working in cups/volume now. Saves all that weighing.
xxx

Rosa I too love chocolate and caramel
xxx

Anonymous said...

they look so cute and tasty!... I´m really impressed! :)

...i love chocolate!:)

Anonymous said...

:)...oh...you´re welcome!
...I´ve an english version of my blog!

Anonymous said...

ohhh yum! i might try making these, but instead putting nutella in the middle!

Kelly-Jane said...

They look wonderful, and such a good idea to add dulce de leche! Home made toffee pops! Lovely :)

Thinking About Food said...

They look so cute, and so beautiful!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So cute :) Dulce de leche & chocolate - oh mouth-watering!

Maria♥ said...

Granny these look so good!

Maria
x

sara angel said...

These are too cute!

Anonymous said...

Granny, lovely cookies!!!!!!!!
But I'm a bit puzzled: Did MS made 41 cookies or 2 dozen? Because 2 dozen are only 24 cookies.
Please,put me out of my misery.....:-))))))))))))
Carlotta

Rhyleysgranny said...

Carlotta :) I forgot to put a space. 4 1/2 dozen = 54. I am sorry.

Gloria Baker said...

Granny these look absolutely yummy!!! oooh the childs will love them Im sure! xxxxxGloria

Rosie said...

Oh wow Brenda chocolate caramel cookies - they look really scrummy!

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

Did I miss something? I don't see the caramel anywhere...

Rhyleysgranny said...

Anonymous - Sorry, I had only mentioned the caramel in my write up. Thank you for drawing my attention to it. All sorted now