Thursday 17 April 2008

Simple Green Sides

I try to make vegetables inviting looking if I can. I just love the colour combination of Kale and Carrot. Kale has become very popular in recent years. It is associated by many as cattle fodder but that is a much tougher variety than the curly leaved Kale we eat and enjoy. It freezes well as the flavour actually improves when exposed to frost. It is extremely nutritious too.
Kale contains four times more Magnesium and five times more Calcium than Brussels sprouts 17 times more Vitamin C than carrots and four times more than spinach. Nearly double the magnesium of spring greens . More folate than broccoli and seven times more carotene than cabbage. It also tastes very good. Sweated off in some butter is all it requires. It holds it's shape much better than cabbage. All in all a good choice for a side veggie.



Left Over Lettuce

How many of us have a lettuce or a bag of greens that are just a wee bit limp to serve as salad? Don't dispatch them to the bin or the compost heap. Use them as tonight's vegetable. Just cook in a little melted butter for a few minutes. I add a little chilli sauce. It tastes wonderful and stops the waste. I suppose a green footprint if you will.
Lettuce has surprisingly high nutritional content. Not Iceberg as they are nearly all water. Others such as Cos, Romaine and Little Gem are rich in Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Thiamin, Folate, Iron, Potassium and Manganese. So don't chuck it eat it.

Our Grannies were right when they told us to eat up our greens. They really are good for you.

Good Health!



12 comments:

Nickki said...

Great tip Granny x I don't know how many bags of salad I have wasted when they've been left to go limp in the bottom of the fridge. I really grudge throwing them out cos I hate waste. Won't be doing that anymore! Thanku xxx

Soozyb said...

Rhyleysgranny!!

Hello! How are you? It's Soozyb from the Nigella site! Can't believe I've found you on the Tastespotting website.

I do miss Nigella's boards.

Have left this on the ritzy nuggets post as well, but thought I'd put it here in case you didn't see it.

Am on SERIOUS diet at the moment (Lighterlife) but will give them a go when I finish.

Good to 'see' you!

Big love,

Soozy XXX

Vicky said...

I love my greens too Granny! Not eating much kale though, will have to start! xxx

Rhyleysgranny said...

Vicky and Nikki I am gald you like the little tips.

Soozy I left a note on your blog. I am so pleased to see you again. Well done with the weight loss

xxx

Anna's kitchen table said...

Brenda,
I've just been looking through your blog, everything looks so great! You take lovely photographs.
Well done on such a fantastic blog!
xx

Rhyleysgranny said...

Thank you Anna
xxx

Rachel@fairycakeheaven said...

oooooooooooo yummy!!! I also love any green veg, blanched, and then stirfried in a tiny bit of olive oil with some crushed garlic and chopped red chilli and lemon juice!!!

The lettuce idea is fantastic, will definitely be trying it!

violets said...

Granny, I love nearly every vegetable but yours looks extra inviting, I love how you've styled them together.


Vi xx

hungryandfrozen said...

Love the idea of cooking lettuce (and look at all those vitamins!). Fantastic photos :)

Anonymous said...

All looking good Granny. I love your wee tips.

Rosie said...

Oh I just love my veggies and this sounds great Brenda - thanks for sharing :)

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

Granny! Thanks for the idea. We have loads of Cos lettuce in the garden and now I know exactly what to do with them!