Sunday 16 May 2010

Louisiana Crab Cakes

I have had Delia Smith's book 'How to Cheat at Cooking' for some time. Some very good recipes but I haven't really used it much. Why you may ask. Well the thing is the shopping list for the 'cheat's' ingredients is quite lengthy and I never seem to have the right things in the larder. It seems it is quite expensive to be a cheat. I noticed these crab cakes sometime ago and bought the tins of crab but as usual they got pushed to the back of the cupboard. I was however inspired by a photograph of them in Vi' pantry and decided to make them. I didn't have the jarred peppers for the required red pepper mayo but I made my own. They are really delicious and so easy to throw together. I will definitely be keeping the tinned crab meat to make these again. We had them as a main served with chips and salad but one would make a lovely starter I think.

Ingredients

  • 43g tin John West dressed crab, plus 170g jumbo crab meat (Asda Extra Special) or other white crab meat, drained
  • 2 spring onions
  • 1 pack (about 25g) fresh coriander
  • 1 piece jalapeño pepper, from a jar
  • grated zest of ½ lemon
  • 1 medium egg, beaten
  • 3 rounded tablespoons dried breadcrumbs (Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients) or dried ciabatta breadcrumbs (Tesco Ingredients)
  • a good pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1 heaped tablespoon semolina
  • 1 tablespoon groundnut or other flavourless oil

For the red pepper mayonnaise

  • the equivalent of ½ fresh red pepper (from a jar of roasted peppers)
  • 1 fat clove garlic, peeled
  • 2 rounded tablespoons Delouis Fils fresh mayonnaise
  • a good pinch of cayenne pepper


First of all, chop the spring onions, half the coriander (minus any very thick stalks) and the jalapeño in a mini-chopper. Combine these with the rest of the ingredients (except the semolina and oil), season and mix well. After that, divide the mixture into 6 and form it into round patties, squeezing the mixture together firmly. Spoon the semolina on to a plate and coat the crab cakes on all sides.

For the mayonnaise, whiz the ingredients together in a mini-chopper and empty it into a dish.

To cook the crab cakes, heat the oil in a medium frying-pan till very hot and shimmering, then cook them for about 2 minutes on each side. Serve with the remaining coriander to garnish and a good helping of the mayonnaise.


Serves two as a main course. (Three cakes each)


What I did

I didn't have fresh coriander so I used some parsley and dried coriander.

I moulded the cakes in a cookie cutter to give them a good shape

I popped them in the freezer for ten minutes in case they fell apart when frying

I made a sweet chilli and garlic mayo by putting some chilli jam and a little garlic paste into some Hellman's. I used about 4-5 tablespoons of mayo as Delia's didn't give a very large amount. Well I needed something to dunk those chips into now I am no longer dieting.








10 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Your crab cakes look delicious. I bet they go perfectly well with that sauce. A great combo!

Cheers,

Rosa

Lucie said...

Hi Brenda, yipee you're back! I've really missed you, and your posts...I was worrying about you. Hope you are well. These crab cakes lovely divine, the sauce looks wonderful. Great to have you back. Love Lucie x

Gloria Baker said...

OMG I love crabs Brenda and yours crab cakes look fantastic!! I love this! Im happy you are back my dear, have anice Sunday!! cheers, gloria

Brownieville Girl said...

I recieved this book as a gift ages ago and have never used it - must take another look!

Your crab cakes look wonderful.

La Bella Cooks said...

I am a huge crab cake fan a yours look heavenly. I would love the sauce as well. Glad to see you posting. Hope you are well.

Anna's kitchen table said...

They look soooo good Brenda!

BetterLate said...

Oooh, I love crab, but rarely get the chance to buy fresh so it's nice to see a recipe that uses a tin. Mind you, unlike you who has now got "permission" to eat again, I now have some Target Trousers... At least it's only my pride that's at stake, unlike last summer when like you I had a son's wedding !

Rhyleysgranny said...

Rosa - they are so good.

Lucie - Lovely to see you and thank you x

Rosa - Thank you. So nice to 'see' you again x

BVG - Yes have a look. i still think it could be an expensive shopping list but I note some of the recipes are quite easily adapted.

Bridgett - Thank you. I hope you enjoy these if you try them. let me know.x

Anna - Thank you. That is one gorgeous picture of you :)

Betterlate - At least we can sympathise with each other. Good luck with the weight loss. I couldn't change my eating habits for life. I'll probably never get into that dress again. Good luck with your trousers x

aoife mc said...

Phwoar those crab cakes look delish. Love any kind of fishcake - have never made crab cakes so must give it a go sometime soon. Yum!

George@CulinaryTravels said...

The crab cakes look perfect Brenda. Great job!