Tuesday 8 September 2009

Orange Panna Cotta

I have heard much of this very simple dessert. I didn't know however that it was so simple or I would have made it ages ago. For some reason I had it in my head that this was a very exotic and complex dish. I was a great fan of jelly whip as a child. Oldies will remember the strawberry jelly with evaporated milk whipped in at the point of set. Oh I loved that. Even ordinary jelly with evaporated milk poured over sets my heart a flutter. I am very easily pleased. Panna cotta has shot to the top of my favourites list on finding out just how simple it is to make. It's just exotic jelly really. A perfect dessert as it tastes wonderful and is oh so easy to prepare. Looks lovely too so it could happily grace any table before the cheese and port. Endless variations too. It would be lovely sitting in a little pool of fruit coulis or perhaps a chocolate or caramel sauce. This particular one is lovely. Just a little hint of orange. Perfect. Thank you to Kerry who gave me the recipe.

Orange Panna Cotta

Ingredients

Vegetable oil, to grease
600ml thickened cream
150ml milk
2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
100g /4oz caster sugar
2 tablespoons boiling water
3 teaspoons gelatine powder

Method

Brush six 125ml (1/2 cup) capacity dariole moulds with oil to lightly grease.
Place the cream, milk, orange rind and sugar in a small saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is heated through. Strain the cream mixture through a fine sieve into a heatproof jug.
Place the water in a small jug. Sprinkle withthe gelatine. Whisk with a fork to dissolve. combine the gelatine mixture and cream mixture.
Pour the mixture evenly among the moulds. Place the moulds on a tray. Place in the frige for 4 hours or until set.
To serve, invert 1 dariole mould onto a serving plate. Cover with a hot, damp cloth and, holding the mould to the plate, shake to remove panna cotta.




12 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a delicate looking panna cotta!

Cheers,

Rosa

Grannymar said...

I wish...

It looks gorgeous, but alas I have to pass on this one. Big Sigh!

When I was small my granny would suddenly look up from a magazine and ask if we would like a slice of cake. Miss hollow legs always said "YES Please"! She would turn over the page and offer a slice of cake from the picture on the page. If I just eat the picture... will I avoid the milk and cream? ;)

Gloria Baker said...

Dear Brenda this a dessert that really I love, (love all with orange or lemon) is aboslutely delicious and yours look amazing, xxgloria

PD Brenda I hope to send you the book next week!! soon!

Silvy said...

Hello Granny, very fresh and delicious dessert, I'll just start our fresh oranges.
Bacioni! Silvy

Clabby said...

I haven't made it either for exactly the same reasons! You've inspired me to give it a go.

Coby said...

I love Panna Cotta too, I love that flavour combo Granny:)

Now you have overcome your apprehension Granny, consider the challenge of making it so that it is so soft and delicately set it *barely* holds together on the plate and seems to billow out in the middle. THAT is the hard part as it seems much depends on the temperature and climate in general;) In other words the amount of gelatine you need will be different to what I will need for that 'perfect' result:) It'll taste great no matter what, but you CAN give yourself a challenge if you so desire;) HEhe, or you may be more than happy just to leave well enough alone which would be fair enough too;)

Rhyleysgranny said...

Rosa - it was so very delicate:)

Grannymar - A shame you have to eat pics. Diets can be a pain can't they?

Gloria - Thank you. x

Andras - How lovely to have your own oranges

Clabby - Funny how some things hold a fear with them isn't it. I couldn't have been more wrong with this. It's great.

Coby - I now have visions of mr having collapsed panna cottas everywhere.lol. I will bear this in mind next time ;)

Sarah said...

Panna cotta is a delight! There's no end to them. You've gotta try elderflower panna cotta at Elderflower time and once I had a coconut panna cotta which was memerable! Yours looks amazing, I'm inspired!

Sarah x

Palidor said...

It looks really silky and smooth!

Cynthia said...

So silky good!

La Bella Cooks said...

What a lovely and I love the flavor! I can never resist a a yummy panna cotta.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Sarah - Oh you have tenpted me to try more.

Palidor - Than you. Silk smooth it was. Beginners luck maybe.

Cynthia - Silky is definitely the best way to describe it isn't it?

Sophie - Thank you, It was surprisingly easy and I will be making this more frequently.

Bridgett - Thank you. It certainly is a keeper.