Saturday 9 May 2009

Wheaten Scones

I know I have Blogged about scones/soda bread so many times but there was a scone thread running on Vi's pantry and I made these. The scones that had been made came from Rachel Allen's 'Bake'. Not her own recipe but a friend's. It had a huge mount of butter in the mix 4 oz/100gms. I didn't like the idea of that at all as I thought it would make the scones very biscuity. I don't usually bother with butter in scones at all but that is just sheer laziness. Silly really I mean how much effort does it take to rub in a bit of butter. I rubbed in 1 ounce/25gms. The recipe also called for cream of tartar which I don't normally bother about. I found it made no appreciable difference. Maybe it is required if the large amount of butter is used to aid the rising a bit more. I have recently started adding an egg to my scone mix as it adds a lovely richness. Rachel Allen is an Irish girl. Her recipe is the same as mine. Scones and soda bread are a way of life in Ireland not a treat to be made occasionally so the recipes are much the same all over. The one over riding rule is buttermilk and baking soda. Sweet milk and baking powder just don't give the flavour or the lightness. I find these as light and as soft as can be so I see no reason to change. Even when a day or two old they are lovely split toasted.

Wheaten Scones

225gms/8ozs wholemeal flour
225gms/8oz plain flour
or you can use all plain flour for plain scones.
Approx 250mls/9fl oz buttermilk or fresh milk soured with about 1 tablespoon lemon juice if you don't have buttermilk.
1 beaten egg
1 rounded teaspoon Baking Soda /Bicarbonate of Soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar or honey if you want sweet scones
25gms/1oz butter (optional)

Method

Pre heat oven to 200.C/180.C Fan/400.F/Gas 6

Sieve the plain flour salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
Add the wholemeal flour and stir to mix
Rub in the butter if using
Add the sugar if using
Pour in the butter milk and beaten egg and combine quickly . You want a soft workable dough.
If it is too wet add a little more flour. If it is too dry add a little more milk.
When it is combined tip out onto a floured worktop and form into a round patting it in shape very gently with your hands You need it to be approx. 2.5cms/1 inch thick.
Cut out with a 2 1/2 inch/5 cm cutter and place on a baking tray.
Pop into the oven for 15-20 mins until golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack with a tea towel over them.






9 comments:

Mary said...

These scones seem very nice , i have to admit like this i've never tasted them , must try!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Beautiful! These wheaten scones look so good and healthy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Nickki said...

They look absolutely gorgeous granny! I made some Rachel Allen scones this morning (light sweet scones) and I too was a little alarmed at the amount of butter. I don't think I've ever made a scone before that had 4oz of butter! But they were lovely none the less :)

Rachel@fairycakeheaven said...

ooooo scones with no butter!! Weight watcher friendly!!! YUM!

JillyB said...

The scones look great Brenda and have given me the idea of using wholemeal flour when we make the scone based pizzas! Thanks very much.

♥Rosie♥ said...

I love scones Granny and yours look absolutely gorgeous!

Rosie x

jobs newzealand said...

Looks really good.. thanks for the post.. :-)

retail jobs said...

thanks for the recipe :-)

Anonymous said...

Granny I have your scones in the oven right now and they smell wonderful I can't wait to eat them.
Thank you for a lovely recipe.
Rona