Wednesday 16 April 2008

Oatie Biscuits with a Bit of Chocolate Decadence

These are the first biscuits I ever made. I was a child then and my mother gave me the cookery lesson. I am still making them today and why not. They are so simple to make, so crisp and moreish. They can be left plain, a wee bit of caster sugar sprinkled over, or, tarted up with a bit of chocolate. What more do you want with a cup of tea in the afternoon?

225gms/8oz softened butter or margarine
100gms/4oz caster sugar
100gms /4oz plain flour
275gms/10oz porridge oats

Cream the butter and sugar together
Add the flour and mix well
Add porridge oats and mix well again.
Roll out on a floured surface to approx. 1/2cm/1/4inch thick
Cut out with a small cutter

Bake at 180./350.F/Gas4
for about 15 minutes or until just turning golden brown.
Remove to a cooling rack to crisp up.
Decorate whatever way you want.
Sometimes I make them a little thinner and sandwich them with chocolate.

Yields approx. 30 biscuits.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG I want one now!! They look really gorgeous Brenda.

Anonymous said...

Tried and tested are mostly the best!
Jeannette

jaygirl said...

Brenda, I am eating one of those right now, we called them nutty biscuits when we were ittle and the name has stuck. I love them dunked in my tea, slovenly, but so moreish

Thinking About Food said...

Yum, these are very similar to Anzac biscuits, which every good kiwi child grew up on. The Anzacs have coconut in as well though. You have just reminded me to make some as Anzac day is just around the corner!

Maria♥ said...

Brenda these look scrumptious and congrats for being tastespotted again ;o)

Maria
x

Vicky said...

Elegance on a plate! I knew these would get on tastespotting. You clever girl! xxxx

Rhyleysgranny said...

Thank you all. I love these wee biccies. They are a real keeper in our house
xxx

Anonymous said...

They look very yummy indeed!
AnnaBanana Xxx.

Jerry said...

I would love this with my afternoon tea!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Aren't old simple recipes the best? They look very nice!

Elle said...

Those look gorgeous! I love simple recipes that give spectacular results.

Rosie said...

Brenda, these look SO good!! You can't beat good tried recipes :)

Rosie x