Saturday 19 February 2011

Honeyed Porridge Bread

Isn't baking amazing? I love the process of using a set of ingredients and making something. Then, taking the same ingredients using them a slightly different way and a completely different texture results. Magic. I love  oats in bread however, I have always found adding them in their dry state to the mix makes bread a bit dense. Nice toasted but not so good for sandwiches etc. After having a bowl of porridge one morning I wondered what would happen if I soaked the oats before adding. Well it worked. This bread is so light and soft it is just .....well magic.



  I use  23x13.5x6cm /9"x5"x21/2"(nearly three pounds) loaf tin which gives a large loaf .
If you don't have a tin this size two regular 2lb loaf tins will do giving you of course two loaves.

100gms/4oz porridge oats/oatmeal
400 mls /4 1/4 cups boiling water
3 tablespoons of honey
50gms/2oz butter
1-2 teaspoons salt

Combine these first five ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer or if doing by hand a large bowl. Allow to cool giving it a stir now and then. You will have what is essentially a bowl of porridge when this bit is done.



300gms/18oz Wholemeal flour
300gms/18oz White Bread flour
1 and 1/4  teaspoons instant yeast
175mls/3/4 cup hand hot water

When cool gradually stir in the flour and yeast. It will be a really shaggy mess.
Using the dough hook mix slowly. If doing this by hand,use your hand to combine.
Add 100mls water and continue mixing
Now, you want the dough to be soft but come away from the sides of the bowl cleanly while kneading.
Add a little water at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
Turn up the mixer to medium and knead for approximately 5 minutes.
Hand workers take the dough out of the bowl and knead on a lightly oiled worktop and you get to knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth ,elastic and satiny.
Now oil a bowl and form your dough into a ball. Turn it round in the oiled bowl (stops it sticking) and then leave it in the bowl cover loosely with cling film or place inside a carrier bag (this keeps the moisture in) and leave for about an hour until it has roughly doubled in size.
When this is done oil your work top and hands to keep the stickies away and gently pull your dough out onto the work top.
Dimple it out flat with your fingers to disperse the air.
Now take an oiled  rolling pin and roll it out into a rectangle about 18 inches by 12 inches.
Fold it over towards you like a business letter. You know the top half down and the bottom half up and over it.
Now take the side end and fold it over the top towards the centre then the other end and fold it over that, turn it once and perform the whole thing again.
Once folded ease the sides down and press the top until you get a cob shape that will fit lengthwise into your tin/tins
If using two tins cut the dough in half before shaping.

A little milk in a flat  rectangular or oval container
A handful of oats ground up finely in the food processor (or just some wholemeal flour if it is more convenient.) also in a flat container

Now dip the smooth side of your cob(s) in the milk and then the flour of your choice. Place into your greased tin(s) flour side up of course.
Place the tin(s) in a plastic bag leaving a balloon shape while tucking in the ends under the tin to keep it moist. Leave in a warm place to rise again for 30-40 minutes..
A good test of when this rise is finished is lightly jiggle the loaf at the end of the tin. When it is ready you will feel it wobble slightly like a jelly. You really will feel it.
Now slash the tops diagonally with a serrated knife two or three times. This will allow the loaf to rise without splitting in odd places.
Put the bread into the oven and bake for about half an hour.
The loaf should be a nice golden brown, feel firm and crusted on the top and when tipped out of the tin it should tap hollow on the base.
Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
Enjoy.


20 comments:

Grannymar said...

That might just convert me to porridge and making yeast bread again. Win. Win.

Rhyleysgranny said...

@Grannymar - You can't lose with this one. You know what they say, porridge puts hairs on your chest. LOL

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A wonderfully smooth bead! Lovely.

Cheers,

Rosa

Brownieville Girl said...

My Grandfather used to tell me that just about everything would give me hairs on my chest - I lived in fear!!!!!!!

Another fantastic bread - I'm looking forward to trying it very soon, although I doubt mine will be as light as yours :-{

Rhyleysgranny said...

@Rosa - Cheers Rosa

@BVG - My father used to say porridge sticks to your ribs. I grew up with a rather alarming vision of my digestive system!

Anna's kitchen table said...

That's a great tip about soaking the oats Brenda! I've not made bread for ages.

Rhyleysgranny said...

@Anna - I was surprised at how well it worked Anna. making bread is such a lovely rainy day job

Jane said...

That really is a beautiful loaf. I would never have thought of using soaked oatmeal among the ingredients but it makes sense, doesn't it? I'll bet this bread would be a huge hit with my hubby. He's a huge fan of oats in the morning.

Unknown said...

god that looks like a great bread granny... I need to start experimenting with what I add to my sourdough... this may be a good place to start

Gloria Baker said...

Sometimes I think my favorite thing in the kitchen is baking!! I think is really amazing too!! I love it! always!And your bread dear look amazing and delicious! hugssss gloria

George@CulinaryTravels said...

My goodness, that looks marvelous Brenda!

Caroline said...

I'm a convert to using soaked oats in bread - it gives such a good texture. You can't really taste the oats but the bread is fabulous. Yours looks like a really tasty loaf!

Maria♥ said...

That bread just looks so soft and fluffy! I could have a slice with butter right now.

Maria
x

Y said...

Porridge bread! I love it already.

Brownieville Girl said...

I've now made this bread twice - it is fantastic!

Thank you so much for the clear, easy to follow recipe.

Rhyleysgranny said...

@ BVG-I am all thrilled you liked it. Thanks for getting back to me :)x

Rose H (UK) said...

Brownieville Girl wrote about your recipe - I've popped over to bookmark it ready for my next baking session. Thank you :o)
Best wishes
Rose H

LF said...

Hi! I made this loaf yesterday and it was delicious and soft. Will definitely soak the oats from now on! Thx.

Rhyleysgranny said...

LF - I am so glad you liked it. Thanks for getting back to me x

Coby said...

Granny knowing and enjoying your bread rolls the way we have, I already know this would be delicious. I wonder if the texture is this way because of the starch that's released when the oats are soaked? Potato bread is soft and light when you think the first time it will be heavy, a similar thing perhaps? Such an inspired idea (which is nothing less than that which we expect from bread-baker-extraordinare-Brenda;)).