Saturday 19 June 2010

Scones


I know I have Blogged about scones before but...........I love to fiddle. I never normally bothered putting fat/shortening into scones. I am a very lazy cook and it was just too much bother to rub it in. Sad I know but there you have it. What started my recent fiddling was Sue on Vi's pantry said a couple of times to do scones in the food processor. Shock Horror. I come from the handle little and lightly brigade and I just couldn't see how using a food processor would work. This from the girl who will chuck cake mixes into the said machine without a moment's thought. There was nothing else but to try it. Sue had recommended 'Lily's scones' from HTBADG by Nigella Lawson. She was right. they worked a treat. I was amazed. The only thing I had against that recipe was the amount of cream of tartar used. 41/2 teaspoons. Seemed excessive to me. I make scones so much I would need to empty the supermarket shelves of the stuff to keep me in stock. So I started fiddling. The one thing I liked was cream of tartar negated the need for buttermilk as it provides the acidic environment needed by the baking soda. Ordinary milk would do. The food processor rubbed in fat for me. A whole new chapter in fiddling was opened with unparalleled success. The result was light fluffy scones with a shiny crunchy top. They didn't even need to be cut in half. One touch of the knife and they obligingly fell into two pieces so light were they. You really need to try them. Trust me they are so quick. You'll have them made before the kettle has boiled.

Ingredients.

250g/9 oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
250g/ 9 oz wholemeal flour
1 rounded tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 rounded tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt (if using salted butter use 1/2 a teaspoon)
1oog/4oz chilled butter cubed
1 egg beaten
300 mls milk

Method

Pre-heat your oven to 200.C/180.C fan/400F/Gas 6

Whizz the dry ingredients together in the food processsor to mix.
Add the butter and whizz again until the mix looks like the texture of sugar.
Put approximately half the beaten egg into a measuring jug, then make up to 300mls with the milk.
Pour this into the mix and whizz for a few seconds until everything just combines. It will form a moist ball.
Turn out onto a floured work top and pat or roll lightly out to about 2cm/3/4 inch thick.
using a 6cm/2 1/4 inch fluted cutter, cut into rounds and place quite close together on a lightly greased and floured baking tray.
Use the rest of the beaten egg to brush over the tops.
Bake for 10 - 12 mintes or until well risen and golden. Remove to a cooling rack.

makes 12 - 14 scones


If you don't want to use the Food Processr just sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
Rub in the cut up butter lightly with your finger tips
Then stir in the egg and milk

Dig in while they are still warm

Perfect with the raspberry jam posted below.

Variations

Add 50g/2oz grated cheddar for savoury scones

If you want sweet scones. Use all plain flour and add 25g/1oz caster sugar.









12 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Lovely wholewheat scones! Although I have a Kitchen Aid, I prefer to make mine by hand...

Cheers,

Rosa

La Bella Cooks said...

I love the use of the whole wheat. I would love to have some of these as they look wonderful.

Manu said...

Ciao, these scones looks delicious . . .I would one of them now for breakfast

Mary said...

very nice these scones , its been a while since i've made them!

Anonymous said...

Snap Manu- I fancy one of those for breakfast. I have to say my mum makes the best scones though! ;-)

Brownieville Girl said...

I was at a coffee morning last week, where they served fantastic scones, so they are on my mind!

You know what they say about great minds??

Thanks Granny - really looking forward to trying these.

Grannymar said...

I like the sound of these, funnily enough the other day I was thinking of adding cream of tartar or cornflour to my recipe to add a shortness or bite to them.

JillyB said...

Brenda, those look great!I wish I could stretch out my arm and grab one now.

Rhyleysgranny said...

Rosa - So did i but the Fp does a great job.

Bridgett - Try them they are really good. I sometimes add seeds too. When they are past fresh they are delicious toasted

Manu - Great toasted with a poached egg

Mary - Perhaps I have put you in the notion.

Emmaline - I would love to try your Mum's recipe.

BVG - I know what they say about great minds, what about the fools bit? LOL x

Grannymar - Without a doubt the cream of tartar gives a nice wee crunch.

Jilly - I wish I could really pass a plate x

Gloria Baker said...

I love your scones this is the scones recipes I will try soon!! look absolutely georgeous! huggs!!
gloria

Lucie said...

These look wonderful Brenda - I love all the shortcuts you come up with :) Lucie x

Brownieville Girl said...

I made these today - they are really fantastic.

My only problem with them is not being able to stop munching!!!